New to this and coming to Spain advice appreciated
Posted: 29 March 2010 04:58 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-03-29

Hi to all,
Having served in the forces many years and living in the Uk for a while now i have to say ive completely had enough. My girlfreind has been back and forth to Spain and so have I, she loves it out there and the appeal is obvious when compared to the UK. Lifestyle, Sun, cost of living etc.
However i have recently given up my job with the emphasis on moving to Spain and we are looking to Move dogs horse and us at the end of April therefore we are looking for a long term rental relatively comfortable with rom for the dogs and if possible a stable for the horse (not exclusive though) Nic works in advertisingand promotions nd is very good at what she does. I myself am a seasoned senior project manager working in the telecoms environment, this includes but is not limited to new cell site rollout, transmission engineering, construction and network build. We also deal in selling household items from TV`s to fridges, IPODS and allot more to mention. We are thinking of starting up an Auction house for expats to come peruse and bid on everyday items rather than using ebay or buying from local stores, this is something we currently do in the UK and the prices seem to be somewhat inflated for all sorts of items within Spain. We were looking for some advice as to what the thoughts of the expat community would be on an idea like this. The lcoation were moving to is the southern coast somewhere between Malaga and Almeria.
I lookforward to any advice or ideas offered.

Andy
P.S its raining in Manchester

Posted: 29 March 2010 05:36 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

One syndrome Brits suffer from is holiday syndrome.

When your in the UK, fed up with the weather etc etc you hunger for the holiday, the sun etc.

We seem to be programmed for this and I believe this is a strong feeling many Expats suffer from and it is usually the blame for them returning to the UK.

We all love 2 weeks in the sun, but many soon get fed up once they have been there for a yr or two.

After 5 yrs in Southern Spain I was so fed up with the constant sun, sea and sangria that I haven’t been on a beach holiday for 3 yrs.

Add all the issues with admin, cost of living, poor job conditions and wages, it was just not worth the hassle.

Best advice I give is not to run away from the issues of the UK, there all present in Spain, just be sure your not believeing living in Spain is the same as your 2 weeks in the sun, it isn’t always.

It may sound obvious but you’d be surprised how many Expats found out the hard way.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 29 March 2010 06:01 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

Santi - I am with you - wrote this last week so it is not specifically aimed at the people on this post - but all who are in a similar position.

Before you think the Spanish Grass is Greener

I have been a regular reader and contributor to many online Expat forums for a number of years. They are a useful way to exchange information regarding the many aspects of living the Expat life in Spain.

Recently I have noticed a growing trend of posts from young UK families either announcing they have already decided or are in the process of moving to Spain. Doubtless motivated by a long hard cold UK winter (the Spanish one has been atrocious too) the thought of Spanish sun, beaches, and cheap alcohol is enough to encourage these people to seriously consider a move to Spain hoping to improve their lives.

Nothing wrong with that. The EU has given us all enormous freedoms to live, work and explore the EU?s 27 countries.

However, what worries me is these people seem to think all they have to do is arrive and all their problems are resolved. Wrong.
Spain is in recession. Unemployment is high and many of these hopefuls only seem to have basic skill sets that frankly are not in demand and, importantly, no Spanish language.

The boom is over. Gone are the days of plenty of jobs working on the black (cash in hand) driving illegal UK cars, getting free health cover, and not bothering with residency applications or registering for tax.

Over the last 2 years, I know of many Brits that have been unable to sustain a living, even those with their own businesses, and have had to reluctantly return to the UK.

There are no free handouts here, even health cover is contributory based and not residency based, (i.e. if you do not of have not paid in, there is no permanent Spanish health cover unless you are a full pensioner) and missed utility payments swiftly result in being cut off.

Even for those that are generating a UK based income stream from say renting their property, the value of sterling has fallen by around 30% making the cost of living much more here for all persons relying on sterling incomes.

If however you are retiring on a good pension then Spain maybe a great move for you ? property prices are down to around 2002 levels. Currently making acquiring property an attractive option ? a buyers market. Again, you also need to do your research to understand what you maybe giving up and to what you are and (more importantly) are not still entitled to in Spain, especially in the area of benefits entitlements.

Sorry all you people with young families who have the ?Spanish Dream? ? yes, you are allowed to have it, but the question you must ask yourself is: Can we really afford it?

You must do detailed and accurate research to understand exactly what will be facing you in your new Spanish life.

Do not shoot me I am just the messenger. It is better to fully understand the realities of what will await you in Spain now before you burn all those UK bridges, and disrupt your children?s education and your lives.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 29 March 2010 09:51 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2008-11-26

Hi Andy

Personally I LOVE the beach. I live just a 2 min walk away and I’m there nearly every day throughout the summer for at least a couple of hours. I could never tire of the beach. But that’s just me!! Oh, and I’ve lived here for just over 6 years!!!

I think your idea sounds great and I love it when people give their dreams a shot. Amazing things happen when you’re focussed and determined enough. Doors open where before there were only walls.

So I’d say go for it. Be open to the fact that it MAY not work out as you intended, but don’t let that stop you from following your dreams.

Think positive ...be positive 😊

All the best and I hope it works out for you

Keidi

Signature 

Follow Keidi for free information for expats living in the sun.

Try out her business opportunity for expats

Posted: 30 March 2010 12:50 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Rob, I think your post is really great. As one who makes my living via the Internet, Spain indeed offers everything I could hope it to afford me. That said, I had initially tried teaching English here and, without a doubt, it sucked. Not having a work permit at the time meant even greater difficulties than Brits face. While my savings ran dry and the teaching floundered, I got a couple lucky breaks. These days, as you mentioned, times are tough. There are fewer lucky breaks and opportunities. If you’re set up with some savings, have the time to immerse yourself in the language (give it 6-12 months of intense learning to be almost fluent) or other opportunities not offered to regular folks then Spain may well be everything you’ve dreamt.

Alternatives for those with fewer skills may be: Brazil, China, Chile. As much as I love Spain, it’s important to be realistic, and those are the places where all the action is for Westerners.

Andy: your idea is intriguing, but I certainly hope you have the capital to make it happen. It’ll take a lot more than it would to get something like this started in Spain at the moment. Also, the world is moving more and more online, so take that into account. Do let us know your thoughts on what we’ve posted here though and we’ll hit you back with some more advice or pessimism as necessary. 😉

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 30 March 2010 03:45 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-03-29

I thank you all for your realistic and factual responses. I am well aware of he current european financial crisis and that which Spain is currently floundering in and take your points seriously. However ive never been one to let a wall get in my way, Iprefer to conquer them rather than attempt to break them down. It is intriguing that so many are naive whenmaking a decision to move abroad and i share your scinisism and find it great advice for those that have carried out little or no research prior to making the leap.
I have many ideas some of which i doubt will ever get of the starting blocks, however i think the fact that even though we live in an age of the internet the spanish are still reluctant to use the likes of Ebay to obtain goods. I may be chasing a dream but the current financial crisis in Spain would surely see people be it Spanish or English purchasing goods at less than half price or even bidding on line from my auction house? Im intrigued as to your thoughts.
I value the responses thus far and am like yourselves a bit of a sceptic and are a realist however its good to deam but even better to make it happen.
Onc eagain many thanks for the valued opinions thus far.
Andy
P.S its still raining in Manchester 😊

Posted: 30 March 2010 04:15 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Well that does make sense. Tough times, why not by cheap? You’ll have to do some good marketing, but with a number of people leaving for other pastures you may also get a lot of good inventory. Sounds reasonable.

How’s your Spanish? Are you going to hire a marketing company?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 30 March 2010 02:55 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2010-03-29

Expat,
Thanks again. My Spanish is non existant at present however im willing to learn and pick up foreign languages quickly. Nic speaks fluent and is in Marketing and Advertising so im hopeful that should give us the edge to get us started.
As you say, people are leaving therefore there may be a niche there also.
Thanks again

Andy
P.S Still raining here

Posted: 02 April 2010 09:10 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2008-11-26

Good luck Andy, hope it works out for you!
Has the rain stopped yet?!!!

Signature 

Follow Keidi for free information for expats living in the sun.

Try out her business opportunity for expats

Posted: 02 April 2010 11:35 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

Also be aware there are many false stories and advice, particularly by people who profit from expats moving to Spain.That includes expat forums, many of the big ones are promoting far beyond the reality of life in Spain with very few members actually in Spain, one did a survey and found only 18% of the participants lived in Spain, so that is hardly a balanced view, yet reading posts your led to believe most regulars lived in Spain, maybe there admin have many faces.

After all the more views, the more advert revenue, just look around this site and compare it too some others and see which has peoples best interest and loyalty.

Retired expats also don’t give a balanced view of Spain, in my opinion.

You need advice from people who don’t spend a lot of time on the net, most working expats don’t have time to be on the net unless its there job, who needs advice from someone at home all day.

I never used Expat forums when I was living in Spain, why should I, its only since I returned to civilisation as my OH calls it that I started giving advice.

I have friends (Spanish) currently having us lookin for jobs in the UK for them, as they struggle to even find cleaning work in Spain and when we gave them the info from the UK govt regarding financial help in the UK there planning a move here.

There 17 yr son is soon to finish college and enter Uni, there applying here as the govt helps out and the system compared to Spain is far better.

There planing to be here within the next few months.

I guess having work that pays the bills and a decent education and future for there children far outways there need for sun.

One good experience of living within another culture is how much wiser it makes you, especially when you read or listen to armchair experts moaning about the world that they have never experienced beyond the TV.

Also are there really that many people all dreaming of a new life in Spain, really Spain, no if people are honest they choose Spain because it has lots and lots of media portraying it as the place to live, is easy and cheap to get too and language isn’t important, plus they have holiday’s there.

In reality the dream is not the destination, that isn’t important now is it, the dream is leaving the UK, for any place has too be better, right.

Big mistake.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”