Learning Spanish
Posted: 06 July 2010 12:28 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2010-07-05

Being in Canada, I have been exposed to French most of my life, and although I would in no way call myself bilingual, I can get the basics. Will this make it even more difficult to learn Spanish as they are both Romance languages?

Also, I do have the Rosetta Stone software that I am going to be using. Has anyone else tried this, and if so, how did it go?

Many thanks!
Derrick

Signature 

no more snow…let’s all say it together now…NO MORE SNOW!

Posted: 06 July 2010 03:25 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-06-22

I agree totally, knowing some French will help lots. You’ll understand quite a a bit from your French, but very initially you’ll probably struggle with speaking as French will come to mind first. Its a bit frustrating, but don’t worry - its a phase will pass quite quickly if you carry on regardless.

I am a native English speaker, but also spoke German when I first moved here. It gave me the confidence that I could learn another language. But at the start I mixed up loads of German with the few spanish words I knew! It soon passed. I lived with a Spanish family and within a month could get by quite well.

Signature 

Architects and Eco Construction, Malaga, Marbella, Granada ..
http://www.ecovidainternational.com

Posted: 06 July 2010 06:25 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2010-07-05

Thanks for the replies!
I had assumed the French would be of some help. Like I said, I am not bilingual, but took basic french for many years in the school system. As for the Rosetta Stone, since I have it I will probably use that, will let you know how it seems to work.

Actually, learning the language is one of the least worries I have about the move! hahaha

Signature 

Posted: 12 July 2010 11:35 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2010-07-05

I have downloaded the Michel Thomas cd’s as well, so between the two I am hoping that with time and hard work I can manage to pick the basics up!!!

Signature 

Posted: 13 August 2010 04:10 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-08-13

Don’t forget to go and and actually SPEAK to some people 😊 Too many textbooks and cdsd are bad for your Spanish-speaking health.

Learning Spanish should be fun, so never let study get in the way of learning…

Graeme