WiFi in Spain-Specifically Sevilla
Posted: 21 August 2010 06:46 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2010-08-14

I am moving to Spain (Sevilla city)for 9 months this September, and while I would love to bring an iphone the plans look rather expensive. Therefore, I plan on bringing an Ipod Touch (with wifi) does anyone know if there is enough wifi in the city to use applications such as mapquest?

Posted: 24 August 2010 03:46 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2010-05-28

I’ve only been here for 24 hours, but so far, no. My android doesn’t work at all, it can’t find a wi-fi connection anywhere, and I’ve had to pay to use internet cafes so far. Some hotels have wi-fi, but its encrypted.

Posted: 24 August 2010 10:19 PM   [ # 2 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2010-06-04

Internet is very expensive in Spain, so I guess most have theirs encrypted so that people can’t use it for free. Also we looked at an Iphone package the other day with movistar. It was going to cost 45 euros a month. This included free off peak calls, limited internet and 300 txts. They also wanted 110 eoros for the phone and as it was an expensive phone you had to take out the insurance at 12 euros a month. Very very expensive!!!

Posted: 24 August 2010 10:34 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Internet isn’t so expensive in general in Spain. People do encrypt their wifi though. Best bet is to try the hotels. I stayed in one a couple years ago that had decent free wifi there.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 24 August 2010 10:38 PM   [ # 4 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  147
Joined  2010-06-04
The Expatriator - 24 August 2010 10:34 PM

Internet isn’t so expensive in general in Spain. People do encrypt their wifi though. Best bet is to try the hotels. I stayed in one a couple years ago that had decent free wifi there.

Can you tell me where I can find it cheap please we have tried some cheap options and the service is terrible!!

Posted: 25 August 2010 04:44 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Why don’t you look it up on booking.com or hotelclub.net? These sites will certainly tell you if a hotel is rated well, it’s price and whether or not they have free wifi.

I’d also look into getting a 3G dongle to access Vodafone’s wireless Internet.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.