My package is in MAdrid!!!
Posted: 30 August 2010 12:49 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-06-24

Ok, I am in a hurry.

In June I left US, and did not arrive here until August 17.  I sent myself three boxes of books that are MINE.  I used US postal flat rate international rate.  Filled out customs documents.  I filled in REPLACEMENT values for declared value.

One arrived.

Two are in aduana purgatory in Madrid.  I got Avisos de Llegada saying I had to present myslef personally in Madrid to pay import duties or use the appointed agent they listed.

THe only contact with speedtrans is by email.  I can’t get a phone # out fo them.

THey say they will not allow me to say it is declared value zero.  They want me to pay like 60 Euros for each box on top of what I paid to ship them.

ANy ideas?  Is there some way to convince the aduana that these are my items which I shipped to myself?

I should have paid extra luggage fee.

Posted: 30 August 2010 02:51 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

maybe if they see what’s inside the box they’d change their minds. ask them why one box was not taxed. read the instructions carefully especially the small letters.

Posted: 31 August 2010 11:41 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2010-06-24

The instructions on the aviso de llegada basically say I can go to Madrid, appoint an agent to go to Madrid, or use their hand-picked aduana agent (private third party) who are the people I have been dealing with.