How Are Blacks Perceived in Barcelona?
Posted: 03 September 2010 08:03 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-09-01

I will be moving to Barcelona very shortly and am concerned about how people of my skin color are viewed. I have read about how BCN is a very diverse place, which is one of the reasons why I fell in love with it. I just would like to know beforehand how I am likely to be treated.

Posted: 18 September 2010 08:44 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  30
Joined  2010-04-25

I think everyones’ experience here varies but I think the most important is that you learn the language and use it, respect the region’s unique culture and their pride in it and just be open to new experiences and meeting all types of people.  If you start off on the right foot, all will go fine from there on out.  Best of luck.

Posted: 19 September 2010 05:21 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  23
Joined  2010-09-01

Thank you for this reply, I have been around many cultures growing up so I understand what you are saying. Unfortunately I also understand that a person can try their best and still not experience the respect that you give back, as you say it varies. I was blessed enough to find some African and African-Americans in BCN and asked them about this very thing, they answered the same way commenting on Spain being a bit insensitive to racism though they are trying to change this.  They directed me to some news articles and Spanish news magazines as well. Again thank you very much for your reply I hope that you have a great day

😊

‹‹ just moved.      Burglar alarms in Spain ››