UK insurers - 90 day legal requirement?
Posted: 29 September 2010 03:55 PM  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2010-01-28

Any ideas of some UK insurers with Spanish branches?
I’m looking to get contents and/or car insurance.
My car insurer will only cover me for 90 days in Spain (I’m supposed to legally change over as resident after 90 days). I assume I will still have to get cover with a UK insurer after that as the car is registered in the UK but they were going to charge ?17.50 after the 90 days so I need to look for someone else.

As for contents insurance, I don’t know if the same 90 day residence restriction applies?

Posted: 29 September 2010 04:49 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

If you are going to be a Spanish resident you will need to import the car

see here

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/cars

Your contents are up to you.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 29 September 2010 04:53 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28
ROB1305 - 29 September 2010 04:49 PM

If you are going to be a Spanish resident you will need to import the car

see here

http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for-british-nationals/living-in-spain/cars

Your contents are up to you.

no, not for 6 months apparently.
However, I have to become resident after 3.
The grey area in between is the issue and my insurer doesn;t seem to want to cover it after 90 days.

Posted: 29 September 2010 04:55 PM   [ # 3 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  744
Joined  2009-01-22

I think you will find if you wait the 6 months it costs more - but take professional advice.

Signature 

Rob
http://spainreexposed.wordpress.com/

Posted: 29 September 2010 06:25 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28
Tumbit - 29 September 2010 06:19 PM

This issue has been debated at length many times on this forum and others. In my opinion the bottom line is this   -  you would be much better off (in terms of overall cost, messing about , peace of mind etc… )  just selling your UK Vehicle and purchasing a second hand Spanish Vehicle once you arrive.

The factors to consider in bringing a UK Car over here don’t stops with the issue of Insurance… just a few of the other issues that you should consider are as follows :

- You Need to legally import after 6 months, which carries an Import tax of @12% of value of car
- You would more than likely needs the services of a Gestor to do this for you @ 300 Euros or so
- You would require to fit new headlamps
- You would then need Spanish Insurance
- You would need a Spanish ITV, which has a different set of criteria than the UK’s MOT
- One such Factor is that all 4 tyres on the Car need to be Identicle
- If the Car has a Tow Bar, Roof rack or any other ‘modification’ you would require a Homologation Certificate

...and more than likely a few other issues that I have overlooked….

- Sure, second hand cars in Spain generally hold their value a little better than in the UK, so it may end up costing you more than you expected, but all the same it is better to have your eyes open and know what you are up against when bringing a UK vehicel over here.

Just to clarify, I’m not discussing the longer than 6 months issue, it’s the time in between.
Transporting stuff with storage companies costs more than driving it down and as I’m not sure whether I’ll be staying longer than 6 months, that’s a no go at the moment, I have to drive down.
The period from 3-6 months needs insurance cover though as I will then be legally classed as resident in Spain…or that’s what I’m supposed to do anyway.

Posted: 03 October 2010 11:13 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  738
Joined  2008-06-23

If money is so tight you need to save in the move I would recommend not moving until you know your staying more than 6 months.

The law is grey in this area because generally what your doin is so bad that most people wouldn’t do it, therefore the law has not adjusted to account for this.

I would suggest you pay to move a minimum amount you need to last up to 6 months then either leave or bring the rest.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 03 October 2010 11:21 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28
Santi - 03 October 2010 11:13 PM

If money is so tight you need to save in the move I would recommend not moving until you know your staying more than 6 months.

The law is grey in this area because generally what your doin is so bad that most people wouldn’t do it, therefore the law has not adjusted to account for this.

I would suggest you pay to move a minimum amount you need to last up to 6 months then either leave or bring the rest.

EU law seems pretty set on the matter, no?

Posted: 04 October 2010 11:52 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23

Its simple.

When you arrive in Spain, ignore the 90 day rule, as your going to register as a resident in Spain as soon as you arrive, your not on holiday, so forget the 90 day rule, it only applies to tourists and applies to prevent people taking the P888s.

Then on the 3rd day in Spain, register your vehicle, import it, get ITV etc etc, then insure with a Spanish insurer and the 90 day rule will apply when you drive into the UK, unless your planning to live in the UK at the same time as living in Spain.

You are either a UK resident or a Spanish resident, you cannot be both, the rules cover you, stop thinking of the 90 day rule, it does not apply if your moving to Spain.

UK insurance will only cover UK residents, all insurance becomes void once your registered resident outside the UK, Banks everything, unless there products are specific for Non UK residents, but there very rare.

Signature 

“I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me.”

Posted: 05 October 2010 12:33 AM   [ # 8 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28
Santi - 04 October 2010 11:52 PM

Its simple.

When you arrive in Spain, ignore the 90 day rule, as your going to register as a resident in Spain as soon as you arrive, your not on holiday, so forget the 90 day rule, it only applies to tourists and applies to prevent people taking the P888s.

Then on the 3rd day in Spain, register your vehicle, import it, get ITV etc etc, then insure with a Spanish insurer and the 90 day rule will apply when you drive into the UK, unless your planning to live in the UK at the same time as living in Spain.

You are either a UK resident or a Spanish resident, you cannot be both, the rules cover you, stop thinking of the 90 day rule, it does not apply if your moving to Spain.

UK insurance will only cover UK residents, all insurance becomes void once your registered resident outside the UK, Banks everything, unless there products are specific for Non UK residents, but there very rare.

but you don’t have to register until you’ve been there 90 days 😊
I’ll bring the car back to the UK after 6 months and if I don’t…well then I could get the ITV and replate it.
I guess it’s the fact that don;t know if I’ll be there longer than 6 months that makes the difference.
Wouldn’t I only become resident in SPain after 185 days?

Posted: 05 October 2010 01:30 AM   [ # 9 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23
qwertyjjj - 05 October 2010 12:33 AM

Only if your a tourist, If you registered as resident on day 2 and then on day 89 you have an accident and the Guardia turn up they will not like the 90 day reason, neither will your insurer.

See the rules end as soon as you become resident, the 90 day rule ceases to be valid the moment your resident.

The 90 day rule allows you to travel around Europe as a tourist on a UK insurance policy that is designed for UK residence, unless your insurance can extend that date happy that your a Spanish resident.

You could as a UK resident take the vehicle on a Temporary Export which means the vehicle will need to be taxed with current MOT and Insurance, but it means you cannot live in Spain as a resident and you’ll need to check with Spain’s dgt to see if they accept this and it needs to be returned before the 12 months expire, its really only designed for if you travel back and forth Spain, but again as someone who is a UK resident living in the UK for most of the time.

I guess it’s the fact that don;t know if I’ll be there longer than 6 months that makes the difference.

Then you return the Spanish plated car to the UK and register it back to UK plates. The Spanish authorities are well aware of the tricks Expats play and are frankly fed up with it, also UK insurers are too and there are many expats with penalties, they have shouted the 90 day rule etc to the Spanish authorities, who don’t listen.

That is for tax purposes.

Signature 

Posted: 05 October 2010 03:49 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28
Santi - 05 October 2010 01:30 AM
qwertyjjj - 05 October 2010 12:33 AM

Only if your a tourist, If you registered as resident on day 2 and then on day 89 you have an accident and the Guardia turn up they will not like the 90 day reason, neither will your insurer.

See the rules end as soon as you become resident, the 90 day rule ceases to be valid the moment your resident.

The 90 day rule allows you to travel around Europe as a tourist on a UK insurance policy that is designed for UK residence, unless your insurance can extend that date happy that your a Spanish resident.

You could as a UK resident take the vehicle on a Temporary Export which means the vehicle will need to be taxed with current MOT and Insurance, but it means you cannot live in Spain as a resident and you’ll need to check with Spain’s dgt to see if they accept this and it needs to be returned before the 12 months expire, its really only designed for if you travel back and forth Spain, but again as someone who is a UK resident living in the UK for most of the time.

Then you return the Spanish plated car to the UK and register it back to UK plates. The Spanish authorities are well aware of the tricks Expats play and are frankly fed up with it, also UK insurers are too and there are many expats with penalties, they have shouted the 90 day rule etc to the Spanish authorities, who don’t listen.

That is for tax purposes.

Didn’t someone say above the 90 days is for registration not residency?
Fiscal residency only happens after 185 days. The 90 days is simply registering on the list of foreigners:
Any EU citizen intending to stay in Spain for more than three months is obliged to register to be added to the Central Register of Foreign Nationals (Registro Central de Extranjeros) at a Foreigners Office (Oficina de Extranjero) or local police station (Policia Nacional) if there is no foreigner’s office in the area in which they intend to reside.

?

Legally, the car is allowed to be in Spain for 6 months, the 90 days is just what the insurers cover full comp or 3rd pty, fire, theft. AFetr 90 days, it’s just 4rd party, which is the min EU requirement.

Posted: 05 October 2010 10:30 PM   [ # 11 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-06-23
qwertyjjj - 05 October 2010 03:49 AM

You can register residency at any time, there is no limit, the 90 day rule in general is meant for Visa’s and the Schengen rule, basically all deem a person resident if they stay longer than 90 days, its used by govt and business as a guide line.

Legally, the car is allowed to be in Spain for 6 months, the 90 days is just what the insurers cover full comp or 3rd pty, fire, theft. AFetr 90 days, it’s just 4rd party, which is the min EU requirement.

This is advice from the UK govt. Stop reading advice on sites other than official govt sites either Spanish or UK, the rest are frankly giving bad advice.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022582

Taking your vehicle abroad for less than 12 months
If a UK registered vehicle is taken abroad temporarily, it remains subject to UK law. This means that you as the keeper, must by law make sure that the vehicle stays taxed while it?s overseas. Providing the vehicle has a current MOT certificate and insurance, you?ll be able to tax the vehicle.
If you don?t tax the vehicle and it?s brought back to the UK untaxed, the vehicle will need to be transported and not driven upon entry back to the UK and SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) should be declared straight away.
You can tax or SORN online or by telephone, but please note that SORN can?t be made while the vehicle is abroad.
If you don?t have a registration certificate and you are taking the vehicle out the country on a temporary basis you can get a replacement from DVLA by phoning or applying by post.

The above really applies if for example your employer needs you to move to the Madrid office for 8 months, it allows you to bring your vehicle and use it without breaking any laws, but as your not moving to Spain for Tax and resident purposes are still a UK resident.

As you intend to live and work in Spain you are required to register as a resident, no exemption’s, they don’t care if it may change, the law allows for your change, but only at the time the change occurs, there is no if or maybes, possibilities in law don’t cut much grass, especially in Spain, as so many Expats are trying to bend the rules.

Signature 

Posted: 05 October 2010 11:03 PM   [ # 12 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-28
Santi - 05 October 2010 10:30 PM
qwertyjjj - 05 October 2010 03:49 AM

You can register residency at any time, there is no limit, the 90 day rule in general is meant for Visa’s and the Schengen rule, basically all deem a person resident if they stay longer than 90 days, its used by govt and business as a guide line.

This is advice from the UK govt. Stop reading advice on sites other than official govt sites either Spanish or UK, the rest are frankly giving bad advice.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022582

Taking your vehicle abroad for less than 12 months
If a UK registered vehicle is taken abroad temporarily, it remains subject to UK law. This means that you as the keeper, must by law make sure that the vehicle stays taxed while it?s overseas. Providing the vehicle has a current MOT certificate and insurance, you?ll be able to tax the vehicle.
If you don?t tax the vehicle and it?s brought back to the UK untaxed, the vehicle will need to be transported and not driven upon entry back to the UK and SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) should be declared straight away.
You can tax or SORN online or by telephone, but please note that SORN can?t be made while the vehicle is abroad.
If you don?t have a registration certificate and you are taking the vehicle out the country on a temporary basis you can get a replacement from DVLA by phoning or applying by post.

The above really applies if for example your employer needs you to move to the Madrid office for 8 months, it allows you to bring your vehicle and use it without breaking any laws, but as your not moving to Spain for Tax and resident purposes are still a UK resident.

As you intend to live and work in Spain you are required to register as a resident, no exemption’s, they don’t care if it may change, the law allows for your change, but only at the time the change occurs, there is no if or maybes, possibilities in law don’t cut much grass, especially in Spain, as so many Expats are trying to bend the rules.

That page states that the car is allowed in Spain for 6 months no problems.
Residency is a different matter.
Fiscal residency doesn’t apply for 183 days.
Registering with the police for NIE as resident is fair enough but that doesn’t stop you having the car in Spain does it?
As a resident, you are not allowed to operate a foreign plated car but you are given up to 6 months to register it - that is 6 months from the time you became resident.