Firefighters in Spain
Posted: 06 January 2011 01:30 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-11-17

Hello everyone im new to the site and have a job related question, i’m currently a firefighter in florida, USA and i will be moving to spain in a couple of months to live there, would my certification as a Firefighter/ EMT work in madrid spain? i am aware of the homologacion of the high school diploma which is being processed at the momment. thank you and hopefully someone has some information anything will help.

Posted: 07 April 2011 09:37 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2011-03-15

I know I’m a bit late replying to this and perhaps you know the answers. To become a firefighter in Spain you need to pass the ‘oposicion’ - open selectivity tests. Naturally you’ll need to be fluent 100% in castellano, then the tests are theoretical, practical and physical. Depending on where you are applying the pass marks and the tests will be slightly different. There is a big market in schools helping to prepare you for the tests, they are not cheap but they are rigourous. They also have lists of all the job vacancies nationwide. There is a lot of competition for these vacancies with some very well prepared candidates. If you are in Spain already, buy a local Spanish newspaper and you’ll see the small ads for the schools - ‘Hazte Bombero’ . In my business I see people preparing these tests daily. If you meet the language requirement, you may have a chance.