American getting Spanish Citizenship - Should I worry about my US citizenship?
Posted: 13 January 2011 06:19 PM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2011-01-13

Hello all,

I am an American who is married and has been living and working in Spain for the last 2.5 years. I am fully eligible for citizenship and have recently begun requesting the necessary documents. I was never planning on requesting citizenship, but a recent change to a program I am interested in requires that you have an EU citizenship.

I have read quite a lot online and I get the general feeling that right now the US policy regarding citizenship is ?grey?, they do not accept nor deny double nationality.  A Supreme Court ruling stated that citizenship is a right which cannot be freely taken away, but must be formally renounced by the party involved.

However, part of the process in Spain (if you are not from an Iberoamerican country) is to renounce your own citizenship. In the past, the US view this act as an act of you willingly forfeiting your citizenship and it was therefore grounds for them to revoke your citizenship. I recently read that the current US policy views this act as simply a ?legal step? in Spain, and it is no longer grounds for taking away your nationality. I spoke to some Spanish officials today and they did, however, confirm that Spain will communicate to the US that I have solicited the Spanish nationality.

I want the Spanish nationality mainly to enter into a program that I am interested in. Additionally, it would be great to not have to deal with all the paperwork and Apostilles that I have become so accustomed to.

My questions are:

Does anyone know how the US is viewing these things lately?
Is my citizenship at risk if I apply for Spanish nationality?
Should I be worried?
Any advice?

I read somewhere that it is a good idea to previously write a letter and have it notarized stating that your intention is, and never will be, to lose your nationality.

Please, I am only interested in answers by people who know, have experience or specific information on the topic.

Thanks a lot!

Posted: 15 January 2011 02:33 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  453
Joined  2008-12-30

k1mb3rly,
you only lose your usa citizenship if you follow the procedures according to usa laws.
the usa government does not recognize your renouncing your american citizenship before a spanish judge.
go to the usa consulate to inquire about it.

Posted: 16 January 2011 06:01 AM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Your citizenship is indeed at risk albeit a small one. Just keep it between you and the respective governments and no one should have cause for concern.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 09 April 2011 11:31 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2009-10-09

so did anything end up happening with this? i would like to know for myself being a canadian citizen