Another British Expat Joins Up
Posted: 02 March 2011 06:43 PM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-03-02

I’ve just joined this great forum and wanted to introduce myself.

I shall no doubt be visiting the site again to pick up useful pieces of information and hopefully share some info myself.

Rob

Signature 

Costa Blanca Forex Training

Posted: 08 March 2011 08:28 AM   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

So what kind of hours do you keep? Which markets do you trade in?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 08 March 2011 12:09 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-03-02

I day trade EURUSD & GBPUSD between 09:00-12:00 CET & 14:00-17:00 CET

Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2011 02:56 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

So those USD forex markets are open 24 hours? I do some options trading so keeping with NYSE hours can be a pain sometimes.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 09 March 2011 12:04 PM   [ # 4 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-03-02

Yes FX is a very convenient market to trade. You can trade any currency pair on the open market around the clock from Monday to Friday.

Actually the connection to my broker closes at 22:00 CET on Friday.
A lot of other benefits to FX too.

Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2011 12:42 PM   [ # 5 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

So how do you make money on forex? I get the impression the markets move too slowly to get very good returns. Maybe I should take this to a PM…

Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2011 12:48 PM   [ # 6 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-03-02

You make money trading FX using the same principle as in any market with buyers & sellers.

The Forex market is the largest trading market in the world. Around $4 trillion is traded each day compared to about $28 billion on the New York Stock Exchange.

All American stock market trades total less than $200 billion in daily volume and the Futures market operates at around $440 billion each day.

Total all this, along with the rest of the world’s stock markets, and the figure still won’t come close to the money moving around in the Forex market every day.

Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2011 01:17 PM   [ # 7 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2005-12-05

Sure sure, but the margins seems so small. The volatility is relatively very low. Perhaps if you’re trading 100 million EUR and looking to make a max of 10% annually it works well, but for smaller players I can’t see the return on time and capital working so favourably. Can you shed some light on that side of things with some examples?

Signature 

Posted: 09 March 2011 02:25 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Tourist
Rank
Joined  2011-03-02

In FX you can use high leverage in a ‘controlled’ manner.
More: http://www.babypips.com/school/lots-leverage-and-profit-and-loss.html

With a USD 20,000 account you would sensibly risk 1% of the account in any one trade.
2% is ok for some people but let’s be cautious and assume just 1% risk.
Good risk management is often the difference between a successful & unsuccessful trader. Analysis is just part of the game.

1% of $20K = $200 (risk)
You would trade 1 full lot, which means that 1 pip = $10
So your risk of $200 = 20 pips

Enter a trade with a stop loss 20 pips below/above your entry so the maximum you can lose on that trade is 20 pips ($200).

As an example, let’s say you are targeting 50 pips.
If your target is hit you make $500.
If your stop loss is hit you lose $200.

The financial values all depend on the size of a trader’s account but the above is a good example.
The number of trades a trader makes in one day is also down to their individual trading style.

You might find this site can answer a lot of your questions: http://www.babypips.com/school/
It’s very good for anyone looking at FX for the first time.
Click on the preschool link for more on most of the questions you’ve raised.

Signature