1 of 2
Living in Spain in general
Posted: 31 May 2011 04:20 AM  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2009-02-21

Hi everybody.
I was thinking in what section should I put this topic, but then decided to put it here, as it concerns the general questions about living in Spain.
The thing is I’d like to move to Europe and Spain seems to be the best choice for me (relaxed lifestyle, sun, sea etc) so far.
Mostly I’m interested in Barcelona area. I’d like to move and stay, not just spend some time.
It’d be great if you can answer me some basic questions, like:
- Do Spanish people mainly like foreigners who came to stay and live in their country? Because in many countries of Europe they don’t, as you may know.
- What about crime rates? Some scums? Is it safe there?
- What about some technology jobs? IT, to be precise. Is there any jobs in IR field, like Quality Assurance and stuff? Is it hard for foreigners to find a good job like that? Because all I see at this website is English teachers and some low service jobs.
- How Spanish people usually behave with white ladies? I’ve seen a lot of all this “hey mamita” stuff going on in Italy, Greece and other hot places of Europe.
- Do you like their mentality?
I hope I explained myself well, if not feel free to ask me some questions. I just would like to know some basic information from the expats inside how they like to live there, what difficulties you have and what you like and dislike.
Thanks a lot.

Posted: 07 June 2011 11:13 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2009-02-21

100 views no replies at all? Anybody? Anything?

Posted: 07 June 2011 11:36 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

A lot of your questions have been answered elsewhere on the forum and recently.

Crime is pretty low overall and is relegated to petty theft for the most part.

Foreigners have a derogatory name, “guiris”, so yeah, some Spanish people don’t like foreigners, some do. A lot depends on what country you’re from and what the colour of your skin is (sadly).

There aren’t a lot of jobs in general, though technology is probably a better field than most to find work in. Salaries are very low comparatively however.

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 08 June 2011 12:57 AM   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2855
Joined  2007-10-19

we just had two bankholidays so that why you dont get any replys ... Spanish people are very opened , but site get the one are two dont like us foreigners , like where you live , What about crime rates , rate not big but every where has some bite off crime , keep you eyes out ... technology jobs yes there is but spain has been going throught bad patch with lot out of work been the leisure industry be hit .
please keep asking and we do are best to fill you in
Jurdy

Posted: 08 June 2011 01:13 AM   [ # 4 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2009-02-21

Thanks for the reply.

The Expatriator - 07 June 2011 11:36 PM

Foreigners have a derogatory name, “guiris”, so yeah, some Spanish people don’t like foreigners, some do. A lot depends on what country you’re from and what the colour of your skin is (sadly).

Well it’s everywhere probably. The question then is how they like foreigners in general maybe? Because u know, in some countries they don’t like foreigners in most of cases, and in some they can be pretty friendly in general, but sometimes somebody can be rude.. u can’t avoid this completely.
For example, when I was in Greece once as a tourist they were friendly, but then when I came there to study I listened almost every morning in a bus of some people who was speaking something about foreigners in a bad way and all that… you don’t wanna live like this all the time, I’d say.
And what about country and skin? Whom they don’t like? Some illegal immigrants from Africa maybe or something like that? What about white people, for example?

The Expatriator - 07 June 2011 11:36 PM

There aren’t a lot of jobs in general, though technology is probably a better field than most to find work in. Salaries are very low comparatively however.

Comparatively with what country? Salary can be lower, but you can spend more on rent, food etc.. it depends. The main point is that you have enough to live a nice life…

Posted: 08 June 2011 01:23 AM   [ # 5 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2009-02-21
jurdyr - 08 June 2011 12:57 AM

we just had two bankholidays so that why you dont get any replys ...

Oh, I didn’t know that.

Spanish people are very opened , but site get the one are two dont like us foreigners , like where you live , What about crime rates , rate not big but every where has some bite off crime , keep you eyes out ...

Okay, it sounds not so bad. You can’t totally avoid it, of course… the thing is that I’d like to feel there “home”, in the opposite to some other European countries.
Not to see angry faces like why did u come to our country, it’s not great.

technology jobs yes there is but spain has been going throught bad patch with lot out of work been the leisure industry be hit .
please keep asking and we do are best to fill you in
Jurdy

Thanks!
Well, I’m working now as Quality Assurance Analyst, so I was wondering if there is a job for that in Spain. I wouldn’t want to work as janitor or waiter there, I’ve had this enough in a past already. That’s why I’m asking about the possibility to find a job there in Spain in IT field.

And what about their mentality? Do u like it basically?
I explain. I lived in Israel for some time and sometimes it was hard for me to bear because of their “south” mentality.
They were always VERY loud in any time, day or night; and if my wife was walking on the street by her own they screamed all the time some derogatory words or whistle.. it’s frustrating. Things like that.

Posted: 08 June 2011 01:30 AM   [ # 6 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

Africa people , Mult colour area of the work , but we have the good one and bad one , as been tanned are white you would be fine , know you spanish it help alot around here , no spanish you cought to the big citys and Tourist area ... Spain had a big expat population area would be Spain’s Mediterranean coast .

Salary can be lower yes thay can be but there lot hight payyed jobs aswell AVG wage in spain is 1.200 euros per month ...
Spain 34% lower than the rest of the EU

Posted: 08 June 2011 01:40 AM   [ # 7 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2009-02-21
jurdyr - 08 June 2011 01:30 AM

Africa people , Mult colour area of the work , but we have the good one and bad one , as been tanned are white you would be fine , know you spanish it help alot around here , no spanish you cought to the big citys and Tourist area ... Spain had a big expat population area would be Spain’s Mediterranean coast .

Thanks! I see.. so, Spanish is the answer.

jurdyr - 08 June 2011 01:30 AM

Salary can be lower yes thay can be but there lot hight payyed jobs aswell AVG wage in spain is 1.200 euros per month ...
Spain 34% lower than the rest of the EU

Agree, 1200 euros is not so high. The question is if that’s enough for you to live nice or not so much? What about rent prices, food, travel etc?

Posted: 08 June 2011 03:01 PM   [ # 8 ]  
Expatriator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  101
Joined  2011-03-15

Hi, here’s my point of view, from a male, white (integrated) anglophile, living in Galicia standpoint:

Foreigners: Where I am, you don’t see blacks working in banks, offices, many shops. It’s not like the UK or France or NL for example. Latin Americans are not treated the same as Spaniards. Eastern Europeans are treated worse. Western Europeans are treated well, you need to integrate though, where I am people are reserved so friendships take time. Spain is not a racist country and people are basically accommodating. Where I live, I don’t hear comments about immigrants on the bus, well, not too often, no more than in other countries. In Spain there are many, many people with fairer skin, blonder hair than me. Don’t steroetype the Spanish, there are all sorts from almost indian looking to white skinned, blue eyed blonds or redheads. There are now also some second generation black, asian and mixed race Spanish too.

Crime: Spain is a safe country. I cannot speak for other parts of Spain, but where I live, for example, my wife doesn’t have a problem going out late at night on her own, she doesn’t feel threatened - we live in a suburb of a city with 250,000 population. Pickpocketing exists all over Spain. Housebreaking exists, but not so much as in the UK for example. There are con men aplenty willing to deceive the naive and gullibe. Violent crime is rare.

Cost of living: A couple will find it very hard to live on 1200? per month. Easier of course if you don’t have to pay rent or a mortgage. Life becomes reasonable on 1800? and more or less comfortable around 2400?. Day to day cost of living has shot up here over the last four or five years. Have you looked on Monster.com or Technoempleo.com for example to see what’s available in your line of work. Competition is fierce though.

Do I like living here: Yes I do, but I knew that I wanted to live here, in the city where I live before I made the move. I wasn’t looking to choose a place so to speak, the place chose me. As I’m sure you know, living in a foreign country involves alot of patience, certain hardships and you’ll ALWAYS, ALWAYS be a foreigner, ALWAYS be treated differently. You’ll have to decide if the benefits outweigh the inconveniences. Everybody has their own criteria and everybody’s views are personal. Some love it whilst others come with a rose tinted view and end up hating the reality.

Good luck with your investigations…

Posted: 08 June 2011 11:40 PM   [ # 9 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2009-02-21
RiazorBlue - 08 June 2011 03:01 PM

Do I like living here: Yes I do, but I knew that I wanted to live here, in the city where I live before I made the move. I wasn’t looking to choose a place so to speak, the place chose me. As I’m sure you know, living in a foreign country involves alot of patience, certain hardships and you’ll ALWAYS, ALWAYS be a foreigner, ALWAYS be treated differently. You’ll have to decide if the benefits outweigh the inconveniences. Everybody has their own criteria and everybody’s views are personal. Some love it whilst others come with a rose tinted view and end up hating the reality.

Good luck with your investigations…

Thank you for your answer too, good one.
Thanks for the link to tecnoempleo, didn’t know that one. Well, for me it’s probably the only way to get to Spain.

Well, as for me it’s not something new to be a foreigner, because during my life I was living in different countries like Israel, Czech Republic or Canada. It’s usually harder in Europe in compare to some “new” countries as USA or Canada where everybody is an immigrant.
But my point is if you feel home there and feel that you’re some foreigner only sometimes, but generally like the place you live and the people around you - or you constantly (pretty often/more than you need) feel that you are a foreigner and you’re not welcomed here.
Hope you understand what I mean. That’s why your ALWAYS looks scary, hehe.

Posted: 09 June 2011 12:48 AM   [ # 10 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2011-06-01

Sometimes “guiri” is not a derogatory name, only kind.

How do you name Spanish people in UK if you do?  😛

Signature 

Posted: 09 June 2011 12:55 AM   [ # 11 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1682
Joined  2005-12-05

Spick?

Signature 

“Vocation is where your greatest passion and the world’s greatest need overlap.”

Now follow SpainExpat.com on Twitter for updates, advice, news, and forum highlights.

Recommended reading: working visa (non EU), other visas, jobs in Spain, teaching English (non EU), finding apartments, holidays, mobile/cell phones, NIE cards, gestors.

Posted: 09 June 2011 01:07 AM   [ # 12 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2011-06-01

I thought Spick was for Latin American people. It’s good to know haha
Is always offensive or can be kindly too?

Signature 

Posted: 09 June 2011 01:16 AM   [ # 13 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

O big words ... Spick what thee called in UK and Ireland and what do that call us in spain gringos , spick - (ethnic slur) offensive term for persons of Latin American descent ... funny one
jurdys word of the day gringos

Posted: 09 June 2011 01:32 AM   [ # 14 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Joined  2009-02-21

I looked at this website - tecnoempleo - looks like there are some offers in IT, I don’t know though how they hire guys from abroad. It’s pretty big now for some other countries in Europe, don’t know about Spain… I remember a couple of years ago it was rough there with the unemployment %.
And tax rates are about 20% as I see..

Posted: 09 June 2011 03:06 AM   [ # 15 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-19

Spain Unemployment Rate
The unemployment rate in Spain was last reported at 21.3 percent in the first quarter of 2011. From 1983 until 2010, Spain’s Unemployment Rate averaged 14.20 percent reaching an historical high of 20.00 percent in June of 2010 and a record low of 8.00 percent in March of 2007. The labour force is defined as the number of people employed plus the number unemployed but seeking work. tecnoempleo is a good site , employment in Computing and Telecommunications .

need to registration with them , but never send any money to any one looking to do you visa , this is a big scam in spain .
jurdy

1 2 > 
1 of 2