Getting a Juris Doctor in U.S. and moving to Spain
Posted: 13 June 2011 04:29 AM  
Tourist
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-06-13

I will be finishing law school next May and taking the Bar exam next July.  My wife and I are planning on moving to Spain after that.  I feel comfortable with all of the immigration and legal issues, finding lodging, and that stuff.  Employment is our major concern.  Is anyone familiar with opportunities for someone with a U.S. law degree in Spain?  My Spanish is conversational at best.  I lived in Mexico for a while.  I am constantly working on it.  Also, my wife is a vegan baker.  Any advice in that arena?

Thank you all,

Gary

Posted: 16 June 2011 01:11 PM   [ # 1 ]  
Just Landed
RankRank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2011-01-13

Hi Gary!

Your law degree is really nice in the US but it is worthless in Spain. In fact, your degree is worthless completely except for those who take your word for it that you have one. A degree can be “convalidated” (officially recognized) but it is a really hard, really expensive process that in your case, would prove worthless as well because for them to actually recognize it as a “law” degree, they would compare it class by class with their requirements. Then, after a 1-2 year wait you will get an answer that will likely be something like a long list of classes that you have 4 years to take in Spain and complete if you want them to recognize that you have a law degree. For them to just recognize you have a “degree” without specifying which, is a bit easier. This allows you to get into masters programs and other positions that require a degree, but it wont be a “law” degree, just rather an official recognition that you in fact possess a degree in general.

As for my credentials, been in Spain 5 years and just finally went through the torturous process of gathering and translating every detail of my transcripts and classes, etc. I am trying to just get them to recognize I have a degree so that I can access a masters program. I expect a reply in about 6 months.

Information on getting you degree validated (in Spanish) is available on the MINISTERIO DE EDUCACCION website:
http://www.educacion.gob.es/educacion/universidades/educacion-superior-universitaria/titulos/homologacion-titulos.html

Your wife, as a baker, might have much more luck than you. Although I dont even think most Spaniards know what “vegan” is, this is probably one of the most carnivorous societies on the planet (pork). In fact, most “vegetarian” meals include fish and such, which Spaniards dont consider meat 😊

Cheers!!!

Posted: 29 July 2011 03:36 PM   [ # 2 ]  
Expat
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2011-07-28

I have been trailing around the forums to find info about the possibility to convert a foreign Law degree to Spanish. So far, I think one thing that will work against your favour is that you do not have EU Law knowledge. I read that it is more probable an English law degree to be converted (with probably 1 or 2 subjects to do in Spain at best) than an American degree. You also need to know that Spain works with Continental or Civil Law, so the system is very different from Case Law or unwritten such as from the US, England or the Commonwealth Countries.

If you are determined to go down this path, I highly suggest try looking for work in the States first with Spanish law firms such as Garrigues (number 1 in Spain and even Europe I think), who has offices in US. Or if you?re business oriented, try Management Consulting firms with offices in Spain as well but from the US, and seek a transfer later on.

Lucky for you, once you have an equivalent Licenciatura en Derecho recognised by the Spanish Ministry of Education (process as per link above, and do note the process time period… 1-2 years), you are automatically a LAWYER (ABOGADO) and you can officially practise. Unlucky thing, they may be introducing exams next year to set the bar higher. Furthermore, there is a pool of unemployed lawyers highly skilled with LLMs in Spain, with local knowledge… this is not really a foreign friendly field unless you enter from within an international company or have amazing experience. Spanish is a must, you need to be able to work in it as the Spanish will not speak to you in English, moreover.. all the legislation and Civil Codes are in Spanish. So a lawyer who can?t interpret the local law is as good as dud.

As for bakery, Kimberley?s right to say that this is the least vegan friendly country!!! There are a lot of bakeries here since the Spanish loves their baguettes fresh every day, so there?s always room for one more baker 😊 So depends what type of baker your wife is!